Lately, we have been talking a lot about APIs and API Management on this blog. The question remains, why is API Management and APIs matter? This article is intended for business executives so they better understand why APIs are necessary for the business. And to a larger extent, why API Management importance matters.
For starters, let’s set up the context first to better understand what follows. Furthermore, the digital market has strong driving forces that work in tandem:
- The proliferation of mobile and digital devices
- Always new evolving customer expectations
- Acceleration of the pace of change powered by technology
Every company has no other choice but to engage a race to digital transformation by implementing a specific digital strategy.
Why are APIs so important to digital business?
- They simplify how two different programs communicate with one another.
- APIs enable companies to grow their business more quickly than ever before.
- APIs are driving a new wave of innovation which is based on shared services leveraging DevOps.
- They enable faster innovation by reducing barriers to change.
- They enable business ecosystems where more people can contribute to an organization’s success.
- APIs can be used to accomplish any business goal from increasing efficiency in business transformation.
API Management importance
- API Management’s importance helps manage, secure, mediate, analyze, and grow an API program.
- APIs need to be secured from unauthorized access and threat.
- API Management enables mediating existing services and APIs to easy-to-use formats that developers know how to manipulate.
- API infrastructure needs to support seamlessly the ability to scale from prototype to viral use.
- API analysis metrics are important to IT operations, developers, and the business.
- Success with APIs requires a successful developer program and portal to accelerate developer productivity.
Read all about the 10 strategic API action items to drive digital success.