For most large enterprises the keys to internal and external integration are held by a few specialists in a center of excellence or infrastructure group. They know their tools, they have organizational history and the limited number of them are the reason any new project takes so long to go live.
While integration technologies have evolved (from file transfer, ESB and B2B gateways to newer APIs), the bottleneck has remained the people who are tasked to implement and run them. One of the key goals of a Hybrid Integration Platform (HIP), is to change that. To simplify integration to a set of functions that can be used by a wider audience to build new applications, that combine new data sources—with existing data—to create new customer experiences across more devices, FASTER.
These new common functions (APIs, microservices) can contain the necessary security and management capability while simplifying integration to a core set of services (this is the how). The real power is whether that can be surfaced in such a way that others can use them.
This new who might be a business analyst, marketing power user or a data scientist. With the help of a HIP, a new set of business specialists can use DIY integration facilitation to create new applications without having to wait on an integration specialist.
Think about what this can mean for your Digital Transformation initiatives:
- Multiple project teams can build, test and put into production new applications without waiting in the queue for an integration specialist
- Faster delivery cycles with a lower cost of ownership
Think about what this means for your current integration specialist:
- Freed from the minutia of reimplementing common integration patterns, they can focus on new and more complex integration functions.
- Support for existing interfaces is reduced because there are fewer of them, that are used more often.
Think about what this means to your new agile developers:
- Empowered to better discover what integration points are available.
- Simplified implementation through example code and templates.
- Quicker project go-live.