When it comes to content, sharing, accessing and collaborating, security and governance are critical. And that is one of the key values of a Content Services Platform. On April 30th, we announced the new Syncplicity Events API which gives organizations, even more, control and insight into who is accessing, using and sharing content, providing enhanced security and governance.
Syncplicity has a robust set of features that ensures data is secure and compliant while empowering the consumers of the content an easy, consumer-like experience via Syncplicity Web, Desktop or Mobile, or through applications like Salesforce or in some cases, a custom app. Watch our content collaboration here.
With built-in reporting, administrators can run reports and audits. With the new Events API, organizations can extend these reports to unlock new insights, provide in-depth audit reports and use the data to mitigate risks and problems.
New Syncplicity Events API
The new Events API provides rich activity monitoring capabilities, integrations with Security Information and Event (SIEM) solutions, allowing Syncplicity customers or partners to develop new integrations and applications. The new API can unlock insights relating to Enterprise events, specifically around the file, folder and folder sharing across all the users in an organization and the users they share with.
Monitoring and anomaly detection
The Events API can be used to provide anomaly detection, identify threats such as viruses, excessive sharing, uploads or deletions, and prevent security breaches.
With the Events API, security teams and administrators can receive change notifications from Syncplicity directly to their Security Information and Event (SIEM) tools, like Splunk, LogRhytm or Syslo.
- Create custom reports and/or dashboards with real-time information
- Notify end-users or managers when specific events occur
- Build applications leveraging Content Services functionality, where the application needs to be aware of recent changes.
Create dashboards and reports
In today’s digital world where content is created and consumed quickly, having insights when something is changed or updated is important and at times critical. As an example, teams who build and create content want to have insight into when the content was changed.
With the new Events API, organizations can build reports for business users, aggregating recent changes to content. The Events API brings a big evolution, allowing lines of business to have a real-time view of changes to files and folders in the team’s area. Dashboards can be built showing details of all changes, along with the date and time of the change, and allowing the viewer to drill down into specific folders or for specific team members.
Providing notifications of recent changes to end-users
With the Events API, organizations can add functionality for end-users who need to be notified when a document is changed. As an example, a doctor in a hospital using Syncplicity can collaborate with external lab agencies as well as with patients.
When the lab uploads patient reports into Syncplicity, the doctors need to be notified; and they can then review the documents. Once approved, the files are made available to the corresponding patient, who in turn needs to be notified. The same mechanism can be used by other departments inside the hospital, such as the invoicing department uploading patient bills and wanting patients to be notified automatically.
Some sample use cases:
- Teachers at an education establishment wanting to be notified when student homework has been submitted.
- Loan officers at a bank needing to be informed when a customer has uploaded a document.
- A group of senior directors wanting to be informed immediately when a specific key document has been updated.
By creating their application, customers have the flexibility to determine frequency, format and methods—as example, do they want the alert via email, SMS or displayed on a web page.
Integrating Content Services functionality into custom applications
With Syncplicity APIs customers and partners can integrate content and files into custom applications, solving their unique use cases both internally and with their consumers. Syncplicity becomes the centralized location for files–adding security and intelligence to the stored files. This makes it quick, easy, and secure to develop new apps.
Below are a few examples of creating custom applications and the value of the Events API:
- Sending an automatic acknowledgment to a consumer upon document receipt
- Kicking off a document approval workflow for a specific document that has been uploaded, before the document is made available to others.
- Sending out automatic notifications to external parties when a new document such as a press release has been published.
- Submitting newly uploaded documents to a third-party anti-virus or optical character recognition (OCR) solution for content extraction or checking.
- Enhancing the integration with the Axway AMPLIFY™ hybrid integration platform, by providing the capability of starting a process automatically upon document receipt, folder creation, etc. The AMPLIFY platform allows for a large array of integration patterns, enabling customers to integrate multiple different types of applications running on different platforms, on-premise and in the Cloud.
With the Syncplicity APIs, customers can extend the value and functionality of Syncplicity, integrating files into other applications, solving business challenges in customized ways. If you have any questions regarding the use of our APIs, please post them on the Axway community.
Watch our demo today.